Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Little About Me

I've been prepping future blog posts and I thought, "Well, better let you know in advance some of my stances."

First, as a child of two public school students, early on I understood that one size does not fit all, when it comes to education. I remember many times my dad telling me he was frustrated he couldn't meet everyone's needs in his classroom. He eventually moved out of a regular classroom into "basic skills classroom", lower number of kids to help. It is ingrained deeply in me that education needs to be personalized to each child's needs (skills, levels, abilities and interests).

As a homeschool mom, the above has been proven daily and I accept it as truth.

As a result of my understanding and belief I have to come down on the least restrictive method of laws and policies that guide "teaching"...because teaching is really about KIDS LEARNING. 

So, often in this blog, you will see posts against Common Core, against stronger laws and policies dictating testing, about more regulations for homeschooling or for creation of charter or private schools and who knows what all else.

Hopefully we'll all think more about this truth and how we can best apply it in a mass educational setting.

Elissa

1 comment: